Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Member Recruitment Drive
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitzibeth
Feel my love!
Feel my love!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Member Recruitment Drive Reply with quote

So there was this idea to have a member recruitment party. I'm open to ideas on how to proceed.

I'm envisioning something like the ball, only done less unprofessionally. The ball failed because it wasn't promoted right, and the in-game emitters neglected to mention that we are a strict RP dream.

Having a signup beforehand or something to that nature, although it seems a bit heavy handed, could be a good idea.

More importantly, we have to be ready and willing to be there and RPing to get folks jazzed.

Post thoughts in this thread, so as to compile them ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dirk Felis
Bartender par Excellance
Bartender par Excellance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the first to post to the thread for suggestions, I feel it is my responsibility to suggest the following:

Bathtime Fun Night!
*coughs* That necessary outburst/joke/suggestion out of the way, there's also the rampant sex orgy, the execution of an esteemed individual, a crisis on a city-wide basis, a festival with Halloween and the other holidays right around the corner, a ballroom dance held at the courtroom of the new Palace (if its in the new dream) and really anything else I can think of later today. x)

Grivyn: Your ideal line is "The world is ending and the only shelter is in my pants."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kele-De
Arch-Wench
Arch-Wench

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could kind of get on board with the Halloween type thing. Though I would more recommend a solstice type celebration. Perhaps something more along the lines of a fair/tournament idea celebrating the end of the year.
Erk Mendon
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fair idea. Not only can we show off our roleplaying abeeluhteez, we can have like a sort of tournament to introduce people to our combat system (assuming it's done reincarnating by then). That way when people join, they won't be as confused as we normally see.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. God, no. If we're going to make people use the combat system in our tournament, it will fail. And I'm not using that in the comedic sense.

Imagine for a second:

You've never heard of Ansteorra in your life, or been there.
You've been roleplaying for six or seven years, and pride yourself on fair, equal, balance-powered fighting roleplay.
You see the emit/announcement that a dreamwide festival is going to be held. You think, 'Oh, cool! I'll bring my alt on.'
You go to our website and see an application form, so you apply.
Once accepted... you are told you're not allowed to fight in the tournament until you digest and understand a heinous combat system.

I suggest a freeform tournament, under the conditions that the characters must apply first. Strongly suggest. Among other entertainments - maybe a RPed beauty contest? And the tavern will be open for tavern RP as usual.

Quote:
Not only can we show off our roleplaying abeeluhteez

This is exactly what I suggest we try and get away from. Ansteorra already has a bit of a reputation for being elitist.
Kele-De
Arch-Wench
Arch-Wench

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shayde Enkiar wrote:
I suggest a freeform tournament, under the conditions that the characters must apply first. Strongly suggest. Among other entertainments - maybe a RPed beauty contest? And the tavern will be open for tavern RP as usual.

I fear God-modding with a freeform tournament. That being said, this might work given strict rules and two staff members judging it to keep it fair. I'm not sure about a beauty contest but if it's the only other thing we can think of, I guess it will work.
Ruby Pyralis
r00blar
r00blar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard competition... Y'know, for songs and poems and whatnot.
Dissident
Board Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn down the tavern, and roast marshmallows.

P.S. - I'll try to think of something real. Razz
Kele-De
Arch-Wench
Arch-Wench

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruby Pyralis wrote:
Bard competition... Y'know, for songs and poems and whatnot.

I like this!
Rashenel
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do as well. Some people may have a knack for RPing and thinking up rhyming/lyrical phrases on the spot, which is quite the talent, especially if they're very good ones, as opposed to some of Kitzi's odd Harle rhymes! (They just don't make sense sometimes!) Laughs aside, very good idea. Good potential in that.

On a second note, I suggested in another topic the freeform tournament, and I'm still fully behind that. After all, on quests or in normal RP dispute, well described and generally good combat RP is essential for a better experience for all parties involved. It would be a good way to spot those kind of people, and give helpful advice for others if they wish it. Of course, judges is a must. Must introduce the back-hand-to-the-twink rule every now and then, after all. Wink

I'm still for the ball. Dance RP can be quite interesting, and very descriptive, for anyone involved or even onlooking. Builds a palpable energy to, which sometimes people can see in the surrounding area posts. Bad experiences (relating to the horror ball of before that all are afraid of) only lead to more knowledge and understanding, so this time around we should be able to handle it just fine, eh? Especially with the introduction of "Apply Before".

And, finally, as a personal suggestion, we could take a few specific DMs and give certain groups of applicants (maybe through a dice raffle or some other random-ish competition?) the chance to go on a freeform questing experience, so they can see first hand the skill of our DMs and the thrill of questing, something they would no doubt share with the others and keep their interest floating high within Ansteorra. The quests would have to be rather short though, so that a number of groups would get the chance. That, or we can run this promotion for new members more than once. Maybe twice a week for two weeks?

Known as Tremare Al'Taen Clefon, rarely others.
Marlina
Missus Marl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rashenel wrote:
And, finally, as a personal suggestion, we could take a few specific DMs and give certain groups of applicants (maybe through a dice raffle or some other random-ish competition?) the chance to go on a freeform questing experience, so they can see first hand the skill of our DMs and the thrill of questing, something they would no doubt share with the others and keep their interest floating high within Ansteorra. The quests would have to be rather short though, so that a number of groups would get the chance. That, or we can run this promotion for new members more than once. Maybe twice a week for two weeks?

I rather like that idea. It'd have to be a good DM though, otherwise it's not much of a reward... And preferably, one with a dream. Or.. Maybe it could be in-city.

Stop using the magic system like that! BAD FAIRY!
Rashenel
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new dream design by Shayde, which should be up soon, that would likely be no problem at all. That or, prior to the beginning of sign-ups, we elect a DM to do the work, or a group. The in city would be better, though the dream may be crowded and constantly patrolled by viewers. For a complete expierence, we'd likely need a closed area without the pestering [woah lol kill t3h zombie man].

Known as Tremare Al'Taen Clefon, rarely others.
Kele-De
Arch-Wench
Arch-Wench

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest maybe 2 or 3 groups of 3 or so depending upon the interest that is drummed up. It's easier on the DM and it makes the miniquests quicker.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I suggest that this be something that comes -after- the festival event, whatever it may be, for those new members. If we do it during the festival, it'll seem like we've morphed into Disneyland or something-- 'Look, guys, let's go on the Kill Kobolds ride, and after that we'll hit the beauty contest!!' That said, it's a grand idea to host a lot of events for new members. Keep them in-city, though.
Kele-De
Arch-Wench
Arch-Wench

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shayde Enkiar wrote:
I suggest that this be something that comes -after- the festival event, whatever it may be, for those new members. If we do it during the festival, it'll seem like we've morphed into Disneyland or something-- 'Look, guys, let's go on the Kill Kobolds ride, and after that we'll hit the beauty contest!!' That said, it's a grand idea to host a lot of events for new members. Keep them in-city, though.

Shayde, this is the funniest comment I've seen in a long time. Made more so by the fact that the Carousel in Disney World is right near the Cinderella's Castle which now houses a Princess Beauty Salon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: