Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My recent obsession

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> Ramble On
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rivyn
Danger: Foul Language Ahead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: My recent obsession Reply with quote

For some time, I have labored in silence, constantly joined by the pleasant thrum of the processor, the fan, the cpu. Recently, I discovered that music existed beyond the works of Stevie Ray Vaughn (Prior to this, I knew that other music existed, in the same way that I knew some people build houses out of mud and poo instead of wood).

My adventures into the world of music have been mostly limited to such CDs as friends would recommend and stuck in my brain long enough to be listened too, but recently I've decided it's time to get aggressive and start looking for more music. I listen to music A LOT. I can only listen to one cd or artist so long before moving on, so even with my current CD collection collated on computer (Something in excess of 8000 songs or 20 days) I actually get to the point where I don't have anything I really want to listen to again.

So, if anyone here has anything to recommend, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll start off by saying that anything from this listshould probably be excluded.

To get the ball rolling, everyone should own (or, you know, you can*COUGHILLEGALDOWNLOADINGCOUGHCOUGH*) some of these fine folks:

1) Stevie Ray Vaughan. There is a four CD box set. This will get you started. You will then acquire everything else, because he is your lord and master.
2) Joe Bonamassa. This man is arguably the best blues musician whose heart continues to beat. Be Warned: A live rendition of Love You Hate You may cause you to cry, severely lowering you manlihood points.
3) Yngwie Malmsteen. Arguably one of the best technical guitarists of all time, may have invented shredding. No Joke.
4) You have heard of Liquid Tension Experiment? Dream Theater? GO MAN GO
5) The Pogues. Yes.
6) Nightwish. Helped create Power Metal (Dragonforce, Dimmu Borgir, Thorhammer, or even Dethklok being examples). Their songs tend to be operatic style stories, except way more awesome than that sounds.
The other way I describe them is "Pretend Evanescence didn't suck."
7) The Aquabats! The only band that I habitually put the exclamation point on - Listen and you'll understand why. They also play the best live show I've ever been too - their fans are stuffed with awesome.
8) MC Lars - next to MC Frontalot, one of todays premier nerdcore musicians. Enjoy.

That's a bit of everything. I can put more stuff you folks probably haven't heard of up if it's requested, but let's try to remember the main point of this is to expose me to new music.
And in case the above didn't showcase it, I will listen to DAMN NEAR ANYTHING. Blues to Classical to Hip-Hop to Power Metal to Blues to Operas to Blues. I like blues more than anything, so we're clear, but don't hold back.
Rashenel
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatles.

Known as Tremare Al'Taen Clefon, rarely others.
Kele-De
Arch-Wench
Arch-Wench

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 the Pogues! Though that shouldn't come as a surprise. Try Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys if you like the Pogues. I'm a huge fan of the Dubliners, who have done songs with The Pogues. The Clancy Brothers, Irish Rovers, Jumping Jewels, and Reel Big Fish are always worth a listen as well. I have a collection of all the above on my play list.
Marlina
Missus Marl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft. Nightwish isn't that uncommon. <3

Try Falconer, it's not the same as Nightwish, but there are a few similarities.

Stop using the magic system like that! BAD FAIRY!
Rivyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have The Beatles. My oh my do I have Beatles. My computer should be able to roll onto it's hard shelled back, pick up a guitar and play Texas Flood.

And yes Kele, you're like, Irish to the point of silliness. I like Flogging Molly/Dropkick Murphy's, and I have some Dubliners on a couple "Classic Irish Drinkin' songs" style CDs, but those other ones are news. Except for Reel Big Fish. I don't have any of their stuff though...Have to fix that.

And that wasn't a list of uncommon musicians. That was some of my current and all time favorites. You want uncommon I'll whip out K.Flay, Johnny Sketch and the Dirty notes, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Twiztid or Mr. Bungle.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want good guitarists, ask Tant, he knows a helluva lot more than I do.

I am a sixteen year old cow merrily grazing from the pasture of MTV and mainstream pop/oldies. <3 (BILLY JOEL OWNS.)

Quote:
Flogging Molly

Path and his dorm/backup singers sang something by them to me. I wonder if the actual CD is even funnier to listen to...?
Fenrorell
Gentry
Gentry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwee, I lurve music. I admit I listen to 80's Rock. Kansas. And 70's rock... Okay, so rock in general. As long as it doesn't suck.

Indie can burn, though.

Need Fire is pretty cool in the realm of Irish rock. Saw them touring at a Celtic Fest.
Tantsui
Noble
Noble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, let's see.

1. You mentioned SRV and Petrucci (Dream Theater, LTE), so I might as well add in Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Must-listens if you're into the genre of people playing ridiculously fast and awesome at the same time.

2. In terms of metal, if you're used to harsh vocals but not used to the deafening hum that is death metal, I'd point you in the direction of melodic metal. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At The Gates are the founding three bands and all have different takes to the style, while later additions are Carcass and Arch Enemy.

3. If you like blues, I'd suggest go the whole mile and get Eric Clapton and B.B. King. Clapton has some great acoustic versions of his songs (Tears in Heaven, most definitely) and you can't go wrong with the King.

4. If you're into jazz, or if you're not, there's something for everyone. Miles Davis was an influential (if not the most) musician/composer, and founded something like seven different styles of jazz. John Coltrane wasn't as mellow, and had a lot of shredder-esque solos going on while still keeping an intelligent style. And, of course, there's Louie Armstrong for that 'man's voice through a high-powered fan' singing.

5. Death metal. Pounding, strangling, rape-your-god action. Extreme examples of brutality include Behemoth, Decapitated, Nile, and so on. Groove metal is a subgenre of death metal and includes bands such as Lamb of God and DevilDriver.

6. Rhythm and Blues. Soulful singing, hot tunes, and a whole lot of bass and drums. Examples include James Brown and everyone who came after him.

7. Rock. There's a wide berth of music to touch here, from indie to depressing. Tool is a great example of rock on the forefront of musical expression, taking odd time signatures and reversing common conceptions about the typical rock band. Radiohead is most likely the most listened to indie band, almost completely leaving the indie scene altogether by, you know, selling a lot and being really well known. There's shock rock that borders on metal, like GWAR, and then there's folk rock like Bob Dylan.

8. Country. I can't say much about this because the only country musician I listen to is Johnny Cash. Willie Nelson is the only other guy I remember.

9. Anything I forgot to mention.

In the Bible, 2 Samuel 12:7, the prophet Nathan rebuked Ding Kavid for his adultery with Bathseba and murder of her husband with "You are the man..."
Algraves
Captain Hooker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks through Ipod*

British-Esqque stuff
Maximo Park is a very good 'generic'-rock Band, they really don't stand out very well, but the way they preform some of their songs is really interesting, Their lead singer has a very sexy sounding scottish accent.

The Fratellis
I've talked about them on and on and on, They're Scottish and AWESOME. Very bouncy, up-beat with one or two slow songs and some brilliant song titles like 'Vince the loveable stoner' and 'Got ma nuts from a hippy'

The Kooks
Beautiful Lead singer 'Seaside' and 'Ohh La' are some of the most beautiful songs I've heard, there once again British and awesome!, much better vocals then any of them and far more lyrical, they're stil laid back but really fun to listen to.

(Not British music i listen to!)
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Best, Rock album I've ever heard Baby 81 OH MY GAAWWD!!
It has killer vocals, awesome rock-vibe to it, I am ALL about this band, and the name is flamingly brilliant, my old store manager got me into this band..

Oh and Rivyn? I got nearly all of the Dresden Files Books..

You owe me possibly 50 bucks >.< for getting me hooked! That JIm Butcher is a Beast >.<;
Kalannar
Pronounced "Asshole"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Power Metal I strongly suggest you look into Blind Guardian and Rhapsody. Luca Turilli, guitarist and vocalist of Rhapsody also has several solo projects which are notably good. If you're looking to delve into the realm of Blind Guardian, which I would recommend, I suggest starting with their titled albums "Nightfall In Middle-Earth" and "Somewhere Far Beyond". And for the record, Dragonforce is a bullshit cop-out. They suck. Period. If you want real power metal then BG or Rhapsody is the way to go. Iced Earth is also pretty good, but venture into a more screamo area of the rock spectrum than Blind Guardian or Rhapsody.

If you're in an experimental mood I would also recommend a band called Me Without You. They're an extremely expressive band that bases more on the conveying of the story and the point. They tend to get very emotional while performing. In one song on their latest album the lead singer breaks into tears and they tell them to keep recording through it. To put it simply: they're weird, by standard. But it grows on you.

Jonathan Coulton. Folk rock. Any and everything he does is hilarious and awesome. My first recommendations: his cover of "Baby Got Back" and "Re Your Brains".

If you're in the mood for some lesser listened to underground rock my suggestions veer toward Moonspell and My Dying Bride. Particularly Moonspell's latest album is very good. Less hard than the rest, much more melodic. Tiamat is also pretty good... I dunno if they're underground.. but they're good, anyway.

Pink Floyd. Some of the greatest, trippiest shit you'll ever hear. Obviously, Dark Side of the Moon comes to mind. It's a terrific album. Another good ambience rock and similar sounding experience to Floyd is a band called Porcupine Tree, who are nothing short of spectacular. "In Absentia" is a good starter album for them.

I could do more.. but it's late and I'm starting to go blank.

"It's hard to be near that much hardcore and not absorb some of it. Like awesome osmosis."
-Rivyn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rivyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tant, in regards to everything except the blues bit. I have a lot of blues, so it was unhelpful. Your ideas vis a vis rock are intriguing, however. Algraves, Also neat, though again I have a lot of it. I did just pick up some of the fratelli's stuff, which was enjoyable, so excellent call there. I shall be looking into those further as well.
And Kal. You had me very intrigued with everything (I have a rhapsody cd I received a long time ago [right before I was aware CD writers existed, actually] and it is excellent, but the name actually smudged off some time ago and it's been floating in my computer as "Super Sonic Megarock" for several years) until you mentioned pink floyd. I'm not saying this to 'break the mold', or be just crazy, but that is by and far not trippy. It is in fact, BORING. BORING AS BORING CAN BE. I am in no way disputing the talent, composition, or skills of anyone involved, but that music is fucking unlistenable. I have not remained conscious through a PF album. I will look into your other bands, because I respect you as a person, but holy crap will I never listen to pink floyd with you.

EDIT:
MORE NEAT MUSIC!
Voodoo Glow Skulls - Terrific ska. Fun. Very fun.
Mucca Pazza - Big Band punky music. YES.
Gogol Bordello - Ukranian punk rockers. They are awesome. I just went to their show the other week, and it's quite the time.
More people should listen to Juno Reactor. They were awesome long before the matrix movies, even if there are waaaay to many freaking God Is God remixes.
Kottonmouth Kings - For sheer volume and variety of work, when the subject is literally ONLY about how much they like pot, this rap group has earned my respect. Seriously, there's like nine CD's about the same thing, and they manage not to repeat themselves too often. it's almost scary.
Kow Otani - Did the Haibane Renmei soundtrack. Pretty.
Ozomatli - Their music is hit or miss with most people, but they can put on one HELL of a show.
Richard Wagner - Composed the Ring of The Nibelungen saga. Yeah. Opera. WHAT.
Tom Waits - Has a lot of really awesome songs that aren't on any of the CD's of his I actually own.
Transplants - everyone I let listen to these guys hates them.
Vanessa Mae - Violin based poppy dance music. some of it is really fun.
36 Crazy Fists - Also fun.
Rakuro
Possibly Mexican and / or Jewish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivyn wrote:
Transplants - everyone I let listen to these guys hates them.

That's because Tim Armstrong sings like he's got Down Syndrome. And is British. When he's clearly not British. ... ... Yea. Though while I'm at it I like the Transplants and Rancid is still one of my favorite bands.

If you're into the whole 'scrEmo' scene, then I strongly suggest looking into Dance Gavin Dance (Like this song). If you manage to listen past the effeminate vocals and guttural growls you'll hear some of the most intensely intricate guitar, drums and bass I've ever heard in this style of music. They're quite amazing musicians, and the singer manages some incredible pitches. Far more talent than is typical in the genre.

Nothing else to add at the moment, because my music selection died a few days ago and most people listed what I was thinking of anyway. So yea. Dance Gavin Dance.
Zagnafein
Unique Title
Unique Title

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Jefferson Airplane, you silly man.

Oh, and, um; jazz guitarists like Grant Green or Joe Pass or Pat Metheny or Kenny Burrell pretty much exceed anything in the world in terms of sheer musical talent and knowledge.
Illithai
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may like some of Dark Moor, I got quite a few songs of theirs, no issue sending them via aim or uploading to a site, lesee other bands.... I prolly can get nightwish very easily and have that ready LDable for you, as for bands I have that can be uploaded to a site..... no more than Dark Moor that may even tickle your eardrums.
Solinox
The Solinator
The Solinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try listening to some Gabber.

www.di.fm

PS hello
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> Ramble On All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: