Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New Dream
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: The New Dream Reply with quote

Ansteorra is having a facelift.

Want to see something in the new dream? Post it here!
Marlina
Missus Marl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less spacial-mechanical problems.

Seriously. No one has told me how there can be an island out by the mainland, with an effing bridge, while you need to go down a ladder to get to the docks.

Keep most of the ponds and trees and stuff in a similar manner to how it is now, just rearrange the areas.

Stop using the magic system like that! BAD FAIRY!
Dirk Felis
Bartender par Excellance
Bartender par Excellance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like for the tavern to have rooms, so people can actually have ownership in the dream. I know this has come up I don't know how many times before people have said that they'll just be used for yiff rooms or who knows what, but look what's happened anyways: Tumbledown, merchant district, Fen's Cave, Dirk's boat, Shayde's shop, Axani's Shop, Kuro's shop, Marlina's guild, Zag's tree, Rivyn's room, Veudir's crypt, Erisvan's lair, Tek actually using the Guard barracks for RP...

Grivyn: Your ideal line is "The world is ending and the only shelter is in my pants."

Last edited by Dirk Felis on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tekarin Hertzold
Merchant
Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all we need to keep the tavern and add a proper Inn. It still HAS to be called the Broken Dagger, it just has to be.

Secondly, the treemanse, as cool as it is, needs to be redesignated to some other purpose or gotten rid of. Maybe it could be some guild location or something?

Thirdly, yes, the docks being DOWN a ladder make little sense. >_>
Rashenel
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the idea of rooms in an inn, perhaps the possibility of actual housing for people, with an IC cost of some sort. Or no cost, just speciality thing. Just an idea.

Known as Tremare Al'Taen Clefon, rarely others.
Algraves
Captain Hooker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the streets be cobbled so that they acutally LOOK like a town instead of a village

Fountains would be cool, have it look more civilixzed like a capital city.
The Tavern stays, with Dayla's all encompassing hand, Two story I'l ltal kto the dreamweaver about what I want in it <3
Kele-De
Arch-Wench
Arch-Wench

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitz had suggested a move to the merchantile/middle class district. There's already a posh tavern/inn there called the Lion's Den. Now, that isn't to say that it couldn't be acquired and renamed by a member. Just a continuity note.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am taking up Kitzi's suggestion of the Mercantile District. Some areas of the former dream (Mage's Guild, Broken Dagger, possibly the docks) will still be in the dream, though there will be cobblestoned 'walkways' you can take to get to those old familiar areas.

I will definitely add rooms to the tavern. There will also be housing. Anyone who says they will be used for yiff really sucks at checking up on how our continuity's going as it is. Razz Besides, they'll have lock commands just in case that reset on the hour/by shareholder command.

Everything currently in the dream that is important, such as an OOC town hall, arena, library etc, will still be in the new dream in some form. There will be numerous secret hideaways and little hidden passageways to find because I am a big fan of those.

Some things, like Zag's treemanse or the cathedral, things of that nature that are never used, will be scrapped. On second thought there will probably be some kind of minor church for use.

There will be simple DSed commands that everyone can use, such as turning on fires. I am heavily considering making the spell DS public - that is, to those who are members. It'd be nifty for RP, and I know quite a few dreams who do that sort of thing. ^^

And it will all make physical sense Marl <3

Finally: AND THIS IS IMPORTANT - If you find any really cool medieval patches, send a link to me via PM. I'm compiling the patches as I write this thread. Though not simultaneously. >.>
Sirum
Runt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda liked how the dream is now. It isn't hard to navigate like Eileadora, it isn't bland like Leaky Mug (though we could use some more flower colors) and it's easy to memorize exactly where everything is.

Is the purpose of the new dream just to draw in a new crowd to see what it looks like, or..?

Though, what I'd like to see:
Blacksmith reinstated.
A more unique, welcoming feel to the tavern. Brown on brown has been done to death. I have a layout made for a miniquest for Jon if pieces from it can be sampled for the new tavern.
Gallows. Whatever happened to our noose? Reinstate the death penalty!
Dissident
Board Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that the dream needed a more urban feel. Especially the capital district. Even moreso now if we're mapping the mercantile district. Lots of stone, and far less grass than we're used to in the current dream, since even the canopy felt a little out of place.

The spell DS isn't really worth it, honestly. I'd keep it around for quests, but I don't believe I've really seen it used more than maybe once or twice for actual roleplay. It was fun to write and play with, I suppose, but not very practical. It's also very old, and much of the code could be written far more efficiently with the new DS commands released since we wrote it. It also sucks up a lot of patch space. I know this from patching it into Aractha and a few other quest dreams I never used. It's a pain in the ass.

Ensure that the tavern is not the first building you see upon entering the city, but make sure it's the second or third. Most people, especially visitors, will flock to it, but that doesn't mean we can't have them pass a few other points of interest on the way.

In lieu of a keep, the mercantile district should have a fairly large district office of sorts, with a bank, a number of offices, and a courthouse. Trials are fun to roleplay, so make sure we still can do that. Also, big barracks. Markets attract crime. Guard presence in the mercantile district should rival or even top that of the capital district.

Locks that unlock every hour are too artificial. Just make sure each lock can be unlocked with a shared command.

All of this said, I'm not all too keen on the new dream being in the mercantile district. There's no reason for a mage guild or a fighter guild headquarters to be centered in a district comprised of ports, markets, and squares. Especially not when the capital district is available for placing such offices.
Rakuro
Possibly Mexican and / or Jewish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalin wrote:
It's [the Spell DS is] also very old, and much of the code could be written far more efficiently with the new DS commands released since we wrote it

Actually, I did just that. Half to two-thirds the DS has already been re-written and now takes up roughly 80% less space. Not to mention running smoother. But that doesn't mean it needs to be readily available. I'd be in favor of throwing in some minor magical cinematics... but I'm thinking more along the lines of localized sparkles, instead of the massive [10/10] style magic animation we have right now. Maybe tiny things like balls of light and sparks. Not room-engulfing fireballs and lightning bolts.

And I would hate for the Roots spell to be readily accessible to anyone. It got abused a lot. I imagine it would again.

That said, I'm fully available to work on various bits of more complicated DS for any given purpose, if you'd like me to, Shay. I've been looking for something I can be crafty on without trying to outdo myself (which results in trying to do something Furc simply doesn't like doing).

Ideas being: Easily moveable NPC items for DMs. Area-effect DS for setting the right mood (put out all nearby fires, set in darkness and vice-versa). And I'd be willing to throw in some stream-lined mount DS, if people really want it and promise not to just spend their time riding around all day. Not sure how many people actually ride creatures around, but it's easy to do, and fun for me. ^^

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As to the topic at hand: A more mercantile district is actually a pretty good idea, in my mind. It seems that more people right now would like to play merchant-style characters. Since I fully encourage more mundane RP, I'd love to see it done. To Dalin's mention of the lack of a Fighters' and Mages' guilds... it would either be a severe downsizing to both (local offices), or we could use Shay's idea of cobblestone paths leading to either location.

I'm a little more in favor of local offices. Replace the formality with something more practical. Combat dummies and lab equipment instead of desks and bookshelves. But that's just my two cents.

And the docks are down a ladder because the Crescent Sea is a couple hundred feet (or yards. Ask Kitz) down the edge of a cliff that used to be the Castle before it dropped into the water. The little watery place with all the pretty flowers and the bridge is actually a man-made (furre-made, for those of you who care) water park, dug out, pumped with water, and artificially planted. It's a very fake, very rich thing to do that was simply kind of pretty. I put it in because people missed our old ponds. I'm just not very good at small ponds. For Science!
Marlina
Missus Marl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Felis wrote:
I'd like for the tavern to have rooms, so people can actually have ownership in the dream. I know this has come up I don't know how many times before people have said that they'll just be used for yiff rooms or who knows what, but look what's happened anyways: Tumbledown, merchant district, Fen's Cave, Dirk's boat, Shayde's shop, Axani's Shop, Kuro's shop, Marlina's guild, Zag's tree, Rivyn's room, Veudir's crypt, Erisvan's lair, Tek actually using the Guard barracks for RP...

Are you implying people have used Marlina's Guild for yiffing? << And Zag's tree? ;.;

Stop using the magic system like that! BAD FAIRY!
Sirum
Runt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivyn has some mad orgies down in his sewer crib. Breasts as far as the eye can see!
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Locks that unlock every hour are too artificial. Just make sure each lock can be unlocked with a shared command.

No. People may log off from within the locked room, and then there's no way for a person without share to get into it. Anyone inside the locked rooms will receive a 'this room has been unlocked, please re-lock if still in use' emit once per two hours. (once an hour would get annoying, I think.)

That said, Dalin, I love a lot of your ideas, and the ideas of everyone else involved too. I'm definitely marking them all down for use, so don't worry. As of now the patch is about 50 percent compiled, I should have it fully done by to-nite and then I can start weaving. Rak, your help on some toughie DS would be very appreciated, so I'll IM you!

The Broken Dagger will be kept. And Sirum, I'll definitely put all three of those into implementation - now all I need is a noose patch. >.>; I think TLM has one, but I don't want to steal theirs so I'll just find a good one.
Algraves
Captain Hooker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Fighter's guild became the city guard right? and well ..keep in mind the fighter's guild could simply be a mecenary guild, that protects the local Merchantile district, while the guard controls the rest maybe...or is hired out for certain patrols guarding caravans hired on to ships as Marines etcera..

Having a library would be AWESOME, and I'd really love the Tavern to look more lively and

A DART BOARD SHAYDE

WE NEED ONE V

Dayla still reigns as Beer-Queen.. Once i get the will to Rp again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: