Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Down by the Quayside..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> IC Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Down by the Quayside.. Reply with quote

In the shipyards of Ansteorra City, a magnificent ship-of-the-line is being built, courtesy of a certain Mr. Austen Pepperdine, who (according to public gossip) resides in Goldside and comes down once a week to survey the proceedings of his enormous ship-of-the-line's construction.

The stern of the ship reads A.S. Fortuna, but as to what or who her intended cargo may be, nothing is known, and Pepperdine himself isn't telling.

However, day by day her masts are raised and the deck fills in. The southeastmost shipyard is quite alive with activity. Whatever this ship's purpose, it is clear that she will soon be fit to sail.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So how are we on time, Mister Briggs?"

"Good, good, sir. She should be ready to sail in a fortnight," said the squat fellow with the large jowls. "She's fast, she's smooth... there will be nothin' cleaner on the Crescent, mark my words a' that!" he gave a barking laugh, folding his hands behind his back.

"I'm sure," said Austen Pepperdine, stroking his moustache as he examined the store-room before him. "Give me a little more room in here to store gunpowder, Briggs."

"Y-yes, sir! Nothin' but the best for the cap'n!"

"You mistake me," said Pepperdine, smirking. "I'm not to be the captain. It'll be my daughter, Persephone. A couple more cannons, too, if you please."
Briggs widened his eyes comically: "What! But sir, she's..."

"Young? She's nigh twenty, Mister Briggs. Certainly no longer a child.. straight from the navigator's school in Ciest Dalien, too. A finer captain you couldn't find this side of Feanor."

"But sir," said Briggs in a hasty whisper, "She's a.. femme. 'Tis bad luck. Dahlsea frowns upon such audacity as to bring rival females 'pon her waters..."

Pepperdine laughed and raked a paw through his red hair, placing his hat back atop his head. "My daughter can rival Lady Dahlsea, Briggs. Let the swells come if she's such bad luck. I've been waiting far too long for this venture, and I know plenty about ships, but I'm no captain."

Slowly Briggs nodded. "Seph won't be a half bad captain.. it's just that I worry abou' the good of your ship an' your.. er, 'cargo' coming back from your voyage, eh?"

Pepperdine stared at his first mate then. "Don't talk about that so close to the shipyards. Somefurre might overhear that boisterous voice of yours, Briggs.." he said dangerously. "All we need is that diary, and then we'll be good to set sail. 'Seph will show up all of Ansteorra City's captains. She'll do me proud. You'll see." Clapping Briggs on the shoulder with one heavy paw, Pepperdine turned from the storage room and headed for the deck above.

"Still think it's a bad idea," said Briggs to himself, rolling his eyes as he was left alone.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Daddy, please tell me you're joking."

"Not in the least, dearheart, it's really being kept hostage. But I've already been allowed to read it, and Johannes copied over the important parts for me. We'll still allow the wretched thing to keep the diary though-- it doesn't matter much in the long run. We have what we need."

"Daddy.." The twentysomething girl rubbed at the corners of her eyes. "They're sellswords, for Inari's sake. And the one that threatened to eat the diary? It was.. like, ten years old. What was its name? Cepi or something? What kind of name is that? We can't leave things this important with people like them."

"Persephone." Pepperdine peered at his daughter chastisingly, and she fell silent, glowering. "What's important right now is getting to the islands themselves, and for that, we've got to have a crew. I'll leave you in charge of that much-- though I'd recommend those folks we hired to find the diaries in the first place. They're already accomodated with us, we know they're trustworthy and remotely intelligent, and they looked sort of... er. In need of work."

"But that little white furball thing's with them."

"Yes, well. With any luck we'll be able to get the diary back that way."

"I hate sellswords... they're all so.." Persephone shook her head, setting her fine jaw a little. "--I'll just be glad to be captaining. That's what I do best. As long as they stick to their job, well, I don't see a problem with hiring 'em."

"That's my girl," said Pepperdine with a grin, patting his daughter on the shoulder. "Now go write a few letters, Seph, won't you? It's time we got the Fortuna moving."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> IC Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: