Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's still hosted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rakuro
Possibly Mexican and / or Jewish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: It's still hosted Reply with quote

So does anyone still have those erratic recollections of Ansteorra Kingdom and the lives we all created for ourselves when we were younger? I know a few of you still lurk about and maybe feel that sporadic pull to check the forums when nostalgia strikes you hard. This world had such a huge effect on me when I was in my late teenage years, and I remember every last one of you who were around in those heydays of Kitzibeth, Rivyn, praying to Dalin for every roll, Sirum being... well... Sirum... and myself as Rakuro - Owner of the Enchanter's Shoppe, leader of the Merchant's Guild, dude who made Crafting officially A Thing, and probably a renegade Taneest By Default who just made a bunch of fuss.

Kitzibeth most influentially, Rivyn second of all, Dalin because he was the most mature of us, Zagnafein, Ruby, Hikari, Sirum, Kivae, Shayde, Kalannar, Path'en, Erk, Dirk, Marlina, Jon Ruddiwyne, Kele, and Tekki.

To say nothing of Isilde, who meant a lot to all of us. Danu, who I don't believe I ever knew the real side of. Fen, who was crazier than all of us. Vith, who I only knew a little bit. And Choe-pai, who deserves her own paragraph.

This is sentimental as all hell, and is largely only being written as a testament to how much this world and all of you people meant (and continue to mean) to me. But like flowers on a grave, I'm going to leave this here just in case you happen to get that nostalgic twinge and wonder where Ansteorra has gone. It's long since passed into the annals of history, but I believe every one of us carries a piece of that history in ourselves. I'm so happy to have experienced such a beautiful collaboration of imaginations as we had, and I continue to wish you all the best in the rest of your lives.

~Rakuro
Ruby Pyralis
r00blar
r00blar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Seeing that red "new post" indicator almost made me tear up.

Is it because it's almost summer that we both felt the nostalgia kick in? Summer break was when I could finally spend time with my Ansteorra friends until the wee hours of the morning. Remember bathtime fun night? Holy moly that must've been what, 2005?

I have a regrettably bad memory and I don't always remember the specifics, but above all else I remember how everyone made me feel. I felt like I belonged and had a place where people wanted to be my friend. I didn't realize it at the time, but I'll say it now: I was abused when I was growing up, both me and my sister. My mother was mentally ill my entire life and I never understood what was wrong with me, why I could only connect with people online, how I was never good enough for my own family in reality. It took me quite a bit of therapy to understand why I felt safe in our fantasy world, why I had to create this big strong demon to fight the battles I could never win in real life. I was honestly a pretty meek kid with no other outlet.

I love you guys, thank you for accepting this lonely kid who needed to feel wanted.
Rakuro
Possibly Mexican and / or Jewish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a homeschooled kid, I definitely had way too much free time and summer was just another part of the year, but I'm sure everyone else getting out of school, quest season ramping up, and all of us having more time to hang out definitely has a lot to do with it. I know that for me, I'm always drawn back to memories of Ansteorra when I have a huge transition in front of me. I'm going back to school, hopefully completing it this time. There's been a handful of struggles the past few years, all of which have made doing "all the things you're supposed to do" progressively more difficult, but I'm trying really hard to push myself into a better situation. It helps me a lot to remember being Rakuro.

I think, in many ways, maybe like you choosing to be the big black demon executioner, me choosing to be a mentally unhinged fire wizard maybe had a lot to do with the face I chose to deal with my real life. Rakuro's schizophrenia, manic episodes, and eventual shattered mind paralleled a lot of real life problems for me.

And in the midst of that, all of us became really, deeply connected. I don't think we had to talk about the issues we were going through to understand that each one of us was struggling with something. We just recognized each other as meaningful, and we loved one another as only misfits who finally discover their people do. And even though Ruby Pyralis was a big evil demon executioner, the Rooblar was like the little sister I never knew I wanted.

Now, for something completely different! For Science! We're testing a whole new form of automatic onion cutting! It's amazing, really! Just.. the fumes.. y'know. Get to you. Hugs!
Canti
Mistar Fabulous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruby Pyralis wrote:

I have a regrettably bad memory and I don't always remember the specifics, but above all else I remember how everyone made me feel.

Same. Most days are consumed with present-day thoughts, so I don't think about this halcyon era too often. When I do, I have to peer through the thickening haze of time, but I always like what I manage to find--except for the part where I decided Canti HAD to perma-die. In hindsight, that might have been a mistake.

Thanks for this thread. Rak, r00b, Si-poignantlockedthread-rum, everyone, thanks for being part of my life. Thanks for the memories, memory fragments, and tender feelings.

Good luck. <3
Kitzibeth
Feel my love!
Feel my love!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like I popped on the forums maybe 6 months ago, just to look, and it was still quiet and somber---like passing by a gravesite of a loved one whose passing no longer pains as much as it once did.

Then I got a ding from the admin of the website asking if we were still using furc.steelangel.com, so I came back, and I can't stop reading. And crying. And reading more. I fear I may get dehydrated. T.T Part of me wants to write this really long post, but I keep erasing it to start over.

We were all fellow travelers on this crazy world of Feanor, full of demons and furres, creation and destruction, fear and hope---but most of all love.. even when some of us didn't really love ourselves. For me, Anst was a lifeline, and I know I was not the only one. Everyone came to Ansteorra with our own stories, our own hopes and our own troubles. But together we made something so much more than any of us alone. We built a community of tales and adventures and a place to belong.

I cannot thank everyone enough for being there.. and Sirum.. thank you for posting all of these memories. I'm pretty sure that Kitzerina would have said "yes."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirum
Runt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitzibeth wrote:
Part of me wants to write this really long post,

That's the voice worth listening to. ^^ I just rambled endlessly with no coherent beginning or ending, so they would at least be in some manner of tangible form. I'd hate for those things in my mind to dissolve like they have for others, when they're much better served enjoyed by my old friends. I'm sure your favorite memories of Ansteorra would be as much if not more enjoyable than mine, your perspective of our world was from the top of the mountain able to see everything and everyone, while mine was milling around it's base. Though there were still plenty of great people and opportunities down there. x) Your experiences with Kitzibeth in her guild no doubt differed largely from mine with Sirum in his guild, like what Makolev and Danu were really like beyond the surface level, while Kitzibeth probably never really knew Arjanus or Aderion. Probably as much as your experiences with everyone as you yourself.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Kitzerina would have said "yes."

A scene that really ought have been played out while Anst was still alive, that I still wish had been written down in the streets of Anst, but the happiest ending no matter how belated or left to imagination. Very Happy (Especially since he probably didn't have the HP to survive her squeezing the stuffing out of him~)
Ruby Pyralis
r00blar
r00blar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Grin I love you guys, we need a reunion!

I'll bring the beans with bacon.
Dissident
Board Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God it's crazy coming back here and reading everything. Really an amazing part of my life to think about, especially when it was the perfect escape from the rest of things at the time. I also would love to make a really long reminiscent post but it's hard to compose everything together. Maybe someday.

Quote:
Dalin because he was the most mature of us

I'm shocked to read that actually. The reality is that I was always significantly younger than I claimed to be, still in middle(!) and high school, and I disappeared as I left for college. Always felt terrible about it but never really fessed up at the time. I'm sure some people figured it out though. Now that I'm actually the age I pretended to be it's funny in retrospect. Began with lying to pass an age requirement for a prior guild when I first started playing the game ("must be 16+ for Edenhope") and then it just followed me around.

It is amazing what we made together here. I still love the world wiki and the passion that went into it. I draw from aspects of it sometimes for pen 'n paper campaigns and the like. I loved how everyone claimed a little part of the world and just went wild imagining cool things about it. Making dreams to do quests in those places (still have my old 3-dream Aractha city somewhere). I've always searched for something like that since -- beautifully written RP in a shared world of the community's collective creation -- and haven't found anything since. Just writing together for the sake of writing. One of those things that just existed as a phenomenon of the internet at its time.

I think one of my favorite/funniest memories is Thelmin Waterpasser. Path'en asked me to make him a character sheet for an NPC because he was swamped with other stuff. I thought it was a throwaway so I gave him the weakest most snively pissant name/description I could think of just for kicks. Turns out he was the big bad evil guy for the whole campaign. Whoops.
Char
Serf
Serf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaaaaammmmmnnn y'all, this and Sirum's other thread are a total blast from the past.

I was super young when I graced Ansteorra with my presence, so my memories are also a bit vague (except for the super cringey stuff like the one time I insisted that Canti had misspelled the word prerogative).

I missed out on a lot of quests and RP events (curfew/dial-up, ugh) but I still remember more about Ansteorra than any of the other dreams I roleplayed in during my (way too long) time on Furcadia. I also remember refusing to go out to dinner with my parents more than once because it conflicted with Friday night questing.

I do remember Charlotte getting knocked out a lot. The combat system was super fun, but eleven/twelve-year-old me just could not figure out how to allocate stats. (At one point I remember she had, like, 17 INT, a bunch of STR, and barely any CON, even though she was a warrior).

I remember Charlotte hanging out under the canopy way more than she ever guarded anything. And I also remember her being feline, then a phoenix, then a feline again, and then getting wings at some point, with zero attempt to explain it IC. Oh well.

I miss Ansteorra more than I miss Furcadia as a whole; a close-knit group of roleplayers having fun is something I haven't found since. Crying or Very sad
Dirk Felis
Bartender par Excellance
Bartender par Excellance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, never thought I'd hear from Kitzi again... o.o

Also this is still alive! Woo!

Grivyn: Your ideal line is "The world is ending and the only shelter is in my pants."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Garrett Riev
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necroing this a bit but, I just felt like popping in and saying hi to anyone who still comes around, because I was feeling rather nostalgic. Also, while it's been over a decade, apologize for being kind of a shit back in the day, because, yeah I honestly was Rolling Eyes my stupid teenage years, and I guess thanks to those who put up with me back then!

Anyone wants to hit me up my Discord is Buccura#5169, or Bucky#5169. Pretty much everything else like Steam and Skype I'm Buccura on.
Has never seen a soldier quite like me
Not only does his job, but does it happily.

Voltaire > You
Fenrorell
Gentry
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Weirdly, I still exist. Reply with quote

I think about y'all a fair amount. I've managed to meet people IRL that turned out to have old Furc mutuals. Recently a Discord buddy asked my partner, "How do you know so-and-so?" Turns out so-and-so was someone I knew from Furc xDDD

A girl who took me on a silent retreat for New Year's took me to a local SCA event that she heard about from patrons at her day job. That really made me think about Kitzi. Razz Some other Furc friends have gotten really into SCA in their local areas, too.

I never seem to cross paths with Ansteorra folks, though.

We might need to get some "I survived Ansteorra," coffee mugs made.

"Much love."
Zagnafein
Unique Title
Unique Title

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang, hope you're all well.

Sirum -- that retrospective thread is a jewel and you're a great person for putting it together. Thank you!

It's wild just how much I've forgotten about all those years we spent roleplaying together. The details of the stories we wove together are very fuzzy these days, but I still remember how emotionally charged they were (not to mention all the friendships OOC). We really cared about these characters -- though I definitely miss Tressym far more than Zag. That guy was kind of a sanctimonious dingus.
Garrett Riev
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know Zag, that's kind of how I feel about Garrett. In addition to just being a rip off of Thief he was also a mopey bastard that could only come from the mind of an idiot teenage weeb x)

I have a character I use on Furc and other things named Dante Clover who is very much like Garrett, right down to being a black furred feline, but far more friendly and lively. Also Scottish. He's inspired a lot by Zevran from Dragon Age though Oberyn from Game of Thrones is another good comparision. So, I like to call him my Garrett repentance. He hangs around Siochain now if any of you still play Furc from time to time like I do, so drop in!

Also, Zag, I feel like I was a bit of an annoying ass too you back then. Over a decade now so who gives a damn, but, still, sorry about that!
Has never seen a soldier quite like me
Not only does his job, but does it happily.

Voltaire > You
Chloe May
Warrior
Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memories of Ansteorra suddenly started to creep into my consciousness this past week and I'm so happy I gave this old forum a look because what I've seen and read has filled me with such nostalgia and joy!

It's great to see that so many of you are doing well and still appear here every so often. I think for myself, like many others, I was very young when I was role playing with you all and it was such a joyous experience that helped me through truly some of the darkest periods of my life. I lost my parents around the time of playing Furcadia and I know the friendship, comfort camaraderie of Ansteorra helped me to escape from a lot of the trauma that took place at that age.

I also came from a background where no one really went on to university and I know that role playing in the way that we did definitely improved my literacy skills and most certainly helped me to lead a more prosperous life.. Going on to university, travelling, learning another language.. I'm indebted and grateful to you all for this.

My memories are fuzzy but I think as Ruby put it, I still remember how it all felt. It was wonderful.. And being a Brit, I recall having to go on quests at stupid hours (for myself) was a killer! I remember I would often go to school with no sleep, struggling through lessons but it was all totally worth it.

Thank you all so much for the memories.

I hope you're all leading happy, prosperous lives. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: