Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much of our continuity was inspired from elsewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirum
Runt

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: How much of our continuity was inspired from elsewhere? Reply with quote

I only thought to ask here because I keep seeing similar terms that remind me of Ansteorra's continuity.

Ansteorra itself is, of course, named after the real-life RenFair group spanning several continents.

Feanor, our world, is the brother of this guy, the most badass elf to ever live.

Iocus, the Iocan Rood and the Order of St. Iocus is from the Playstation 1 game Vagrant Story.

The Morgoth, the one who preceeded Erisvan, is of course The Morgoth, master of Sauron and the dude who got stomped by Feanor's brother.

St. Cyan I have no doubt is named after Kitzibeth's fangirlish love for all things Final Fantasy 6, and the character within.

Marlina's Liberation Army is named after the same army of Suikoden 1, intentionally so.

Both Seal Magic and the Seals themselves operate almost identically in the manner that they do as Runes in Suikoden's world, including the ability to insert and remove them from one's body, but neither of the Seal's creators played the game series so this can be chalked up to coincidence.

Are there any I haven't been hit with deja vu over yet?
Kalannar
Pronounced "Asshole"

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Iocan Rood came from Vagrant story, but as I understand it, the word 'Iocus' is simply Latin for 'Joke' or 'Jest' and other such words of similar connotation. Lulz.

The only other thing that pops out right away in my mind are a few little things. Mist-powered airships and whatnot are obviously more Final Fantasy based. I remember Rivyn's trolls from Pirostia being a reflection of WoW's trolls, only cooler.

I'm sure if I sat and picked my brain I could think of more.

"It's hard to be near that much hardcore and not absorb some of it. Like awesome osmosis."
-Rivyn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirum
Runt

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our airships are mist powered? I thought Rivyn just dragged a ton of mithril out of a bunch of different planes of existence, forged one huge lightweight airship and strapped a bunch of air elementals inside of it to use them as living batteries.
Dissident
Board Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My baby, Areah, wasn't too much of a derivative. The idea was very loosely inspired by a few things. In particular, the lore for the Blade Master and Blade Weaver disciplines for the defunct MMORPG Shadowbane. Fortunately, their lore is preserved here and here respectively. Also, I also got some ideas from the mysterious keepers of the Thief series... Oh, yeah, and I guess the Old Testament.
Sirum
Runt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck_of_many_things

I think I've found the basis for the Harlequin Cards series of quests. x3 I recognize most of those good and bad effects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> OOC Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: