Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Essence Entwined

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> IC Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: The Essence Entwined Reply with quote

Finally, the Daedalus is complete.

Made of wax, a durable lightweight metal-like material and enough feathers to shame a flock of geese, the messenger-bird is little more than clockwork and the product of three weeks of anti-weather and strength enchantment. Connor and Korui had seen it in its beginning phases, but now it resembles a true bird-- albeit a very large one.

Shayde is down at the docks in the middle of the night - it'd draw too much attention to let the thing go any other time of day. The Daedalus, spreading its wings as a test, perches atop one of the dock poles and preens itself as Shayde ties a waxed white scroll to one of its legs with red ribbon. The message reads:

To Whom It May Concern On The Etlan Coast:

The bonds between this place and yours make little sense to me, but I understand that few, if any, ties have been established between your island and that of Calenndor. Perhaps it is because of the difficulty to reach it via sea. I do not profess to be an ambassador, nor any sort of diplomat. However, I would like to know the policies regarding travel between your island and ours, and in what manner a trade route might be established, or allowance for pedestrian journies. Word may be sent back by this carrier-- simply tell it to 'Go home'.

-Shayde Averon En'Kiar, courier and cartographer of Ansteorra City

Attached is a map of Calenndor, and Anteorra City's respective location upon it, as well as a map of the city itself.

Stepping back, she murmurs a few words to the bird, and it takes flight, arcing up and over the cliffs of the Crescent shore until it is little more than a silver speck in the sky. And then it is gone.
Zan'si
Serf
Serf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Essence Entwined, a galleon marvel of feathercat craftsmanship and eccentricity, was airborne. Enroute to Wolfden Caverns on the mainland of Kasura, far from the island continent of Etla to the south. Soft white clouds scudded along beside and about the vessel, prow cleaving a path through the condensed wet stuff as they sailed on. Brilliant sun flashing down upon the decks were crew members were setting about the menial tasks the kept the ship running smoothly. The ship’s captain has opted today to take the helm in place of the other two of the crew who manned that post on occasion. Such a beautiful day it was, enjoying the wind on his face. Not a thought in his mind that anything unusual might occur, well nothing more unusual then what was the norm for he and his. But then, he couldn’t well anticipate messages being sent from places not found on a normal world map, normal for his world that is.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daedalus swoops down, its flight lacking - it is able to be seen from the skies before it descends and an onlooker would realize that it is not, in fact, a seagull. It's about twenty times larger. But it is obvious from the way it is struggling that the bird needs to rest and allow the enchantments to re-wind its clockwork.

The child-sized bird makes no noise besides the crank of its wings as they find purchase against the air, and dropping straight on to the deck it perches upon the bulwark of the ship to rest. Each of its feet are about the size of a human head. For now it seems peaceful and quiet, feathers blustering about in the breeze and its head tucked into its chest in typical bird-fashion.

A soft tick-tick-tick-tick issues forth from the bird. The scroll gleams brightly from one leg.
Zan'si
Serf
Serf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large clicky bird is certainly something of interest. While no warning comes from the crow about the creature’s approach there is a good deal of gaping and muttering to be had once it alights upon the ship’s rail and sets to preening wind ruffled feathers.

All this gaping and the flash of light reflecting off bits of metal that showed through the feathers caught the Captain’s attention. Frowning he offered the helm over to Mr. Vex so that he might go and inspect this aerial anomaly. Padding down from the bridge and then down a second set of stairs from the three-quarters deck he makes his way slowly towards the resting creature. “Now that is one large Gasanku...” he mutters with a flick of his ears and a chuckle. Not many of his current crew knew anything about the small clockwork nightmare he made reference to.

Captain Zan’si Blackthorn would approach nearer to the thing, cautiously though, as head sized taloned feet made for some nasty wounds if put to use. He didn’t want to startle the thing but he assumed it must be somewhat tame since it had a scroll tied to its leg and wild beasties didn’t make for good messengers if the intended receiver got raked while trying to get the scroll free. But get that scroll free is what he intended to do, curiosity being a feline flaw. He could easily assume that this was not meant for him but that didn't mean he couldn't take a look!
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bird opens one eye, and the silver ball revolves to focus upon Zan'si. It quite obviously does not like him. And this is not the intended destination. But, being a carrying bird of little skill in defense, it has nothing with which to repel the captain besides to fly off-- and if it did that, there'd be nowhere to rest for miles.

It stays still, and after a long moment of carefully calculated decision (or lack thereof, since it knows nothing beyond 1. Fly and 2. Give Message) the bird decides that 'Fly' has been accomplished, and 'Give Message' is the next bit that's got to happen. It offers its leg to the black feline.
Zan'si
Serf
Serf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zan’si flicked an ear as that silver eye turned to gaze balefully at him, something about the flat emotionless silver stuck a chord in the panther captain and had him scowling at things that had nothing what so ever with this creature.

Once it seemed the thing relented and proffered its leg forth, Zan would take the scrolls and retire to his cabin for a time.

He had no idea what these Calenndor or Ansteorra were but the note spoke of trade with Etla. Zan’si just so happened to know a rather influential personage involved in the affairs of Eileadoran trade and so decided to take it upon himself to do some investigating. He would keep the map and make himself a copy of the note, just so he wouldn’t forget everything written there in. Next he would reseal the scroll and add a missive of his own addressed to a particular person in Eileadora. Hopefully she was still there.

Morighanna,

This bird stopped aboard the Essence while we were flying to our next destination. I read the message it carried and I am intrigued. I plan to investigate further once I’ve finished with my current business. I’ll send more news back when I have it. I hope I’m not taking too many liberties with this but honestly how could I resist?

-Zan’si Blackthorn

His message is signed with his seal which he seemed to be changing around to find one that was fitting. This time it was a feather laid across an olive branch.

This was added to the bird’s leg and then he presented the clockwork being with a map of Kasuria. Holding it up he tries to get across to the creature that it was here, a point far north of where it was meant to be, and Etla was here, down to the south. Too he tried to get the thing to understand it should bring the message to the trade office in the city, giving a good description of the place and its location or to the ship The Flying Dutchman. Of course this could be all too much for the thing’s mechanical mind but he did it anyways. Offering a gentle pat atop its head he told it to rest as long as it needed before setting out once more for its long flight to the south.
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bird patiently allows Zan to tie on his messages to its leg. It doesn't understand a single word of the things he's showing it - it's enchanted, not artificial intelligence, darn it!-- but it seems to get the idea that it's meant to keep going to its original destination. It has not been told to 'Go home' quite yet.

So the bird spends the night roosting on the crow's nest with whoever takes the night guard, tucked into itself as a large ominous featherball. In the morning, it's gone.

(See here for further information: http://eileadora.com/forum/index.php?topic=3667.0 )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> IC Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: