Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums
Notes, Musings, RP, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Startling Secret

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> IC Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: A Startling Secret Reply with quote

The library in the basement of the Mage's Guild was hardly ever empty: late at night was the only time to find a good place to be alone.

The young lapine mage bent over his desk, the only sounds being the scritch of quill on parchment and the clink of a tiny spyglass as he raised it to something on his desk and peered through to the object before him. Whatever the object was, he apppeared to be taking careful notes on it.

"Seminus, what are you doing up this late?" said a voice from the stairwell. The lapine jumped in his seat, spyglass disappearing into his pocket and sweeping his cloak over the object on the desk. "S-studying," he stammered. "Just... just studying!"

"At midnight," the first furre said in a flat, disbelieving voice.

"Ah...Ye-es."

"What're you hiding?" The figure came down the stairs, a young female student with a lackadaisical manner. She peered over his shoulder at the bulk of the cloth.

Seminus looked terrified. "Oh, b-b-but, p-p-please, I've b-been working on it for a-almost a year now! Don't t-t-tell anyone!"

The femme rolled her eyes. "Just show it to me."

Eyes wide and fearful, he slowly lifted the cloth away to reveal a glass globe, about the size of his own head. The bottom was flat. Inside looked to be a diorama of sorts, a few miniscule mountains barely visible. Clouds and a miniature moon floated inside, and a tiny night sky speckled the top of the glass.

The femme sucked in a breath. "What is this, Seminus?"

"It's... oh, oh, you can't t-tell anyone about them! I'm only s-s-studying them, I swear!" His voice was pathetic and groveling.

"What do you mean... 'them'?"

Paws shaking, the lapine handed her the tiny spyglass. She peered through it, into the glass globe, and after a moment gawked. "Seminus, this is dangerous magic, keeping them contained like this. What by the Weave are they? How did you get them, for that matter?"

"I b-bought them from a s-s-slave trader, he came... from the North coast, please don't tell! I'm just studying them!" Seminus whined.

The femme stiffened. "This is illegal, Seminus. You're experimenting with volatile magic. You could cause trouble with this."

He looked down at the desk. "I know," he said, with the barest hint of a sniffle.

"For the love of Primes, Seminus. I wash my paws of you. Any harm that comes to you of this... I was never here. We never had this chat. If you blow up half the Guild it's not my fault!" she set the spyglass down on the table and turned, robes drifting behind her.

Seminus, body quivering, slowly went back to work. This project was his, and nothing, nothing would take it from him. This was his life's work, if nothing else: it was to be the culmination of his genius!

But though the femme had left, Seminus was not alone. A footpaw whisked itself out of the light as someone turned away and very quietly slipped into the shadows.

-------------------------
[OOC:]

Tuesday, 7:00 FST

Up to 8 people

No level limit, but high levels, no offensive maneuvers in combat.
Algraves
Captain Hooker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shayde Im Freakin there!
Tantsui
Noble
Noble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Ira in, if it's not disagreeable.

In the Bible, 2 Samuel 12:7, the prophet Nathan rebuked Ding Kavid for his adultery with Bathseba and murder of her husband with "You are the man..."
Vitrethjad
Halfsquire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axani will definitely go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shayde Enkiar
Map Wench, apparently?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seafurre John "Smig" Canterburry had seen a lot in his life aboard the A.S. Lutheria, Pirostia-to-Ansteorra-City-trade. Smig, however, had never seen anything like this: he peered over the edge of the crow's nest and pointed to his partner. "Look, Jem, yeh see that?"

Jem peered into the abyss. "See what?"

Smig narrowed his eyes. "Could'a sworn I jess saw... buncha really tall furres... stowaways or... somethin'.." he grumbled under his breath. And indeed he had: five spindly, black figures, slipping quietly on-deck and beneath, down to the cargo hold.

Jem sneered. "Smig, yer gettin' old an' soft," he taunted.

"Aw, feck yeh, I saw what I saw," said Smig, and turned away.

Just before he rolled into his sailor's hammock that night, he could have sworn he heard singing. But maybe it was only an echo.

---
OOC:

20 EXP to all who attended

+5 to anyone who sang (Rith, Axani, Sirum, Fen, Davilvi), including Rak for his Imogen Heap performance

Loot:

2 free weeks of drinks at the Broken Dagger for all attendees, paid for under mysterious circumstances...

Last edited by Shayde Enkiar on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Hikari
Hiki Pony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ All that plus a bucket of wings. ^_^

j00 r0xx0rz missus

[The Devil]: "There was a time when I used to get lots of ideas... I thought up the Seven Deadly Sins in one afternoon. The only thing I've come up with recently is advertising." - Peter Cook as George Spiggott "The Devil" in Bedazzled (1967)
Rithiys
Warrior
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=D It was fun, I regret having to leave early! If anyone's willing to send the rest of the log, I definitely would like to read it.
Tantsui
Noble
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3

In the Bible, 2 Samuel 12:7, the prophet Nathan rebuked Ding Kavid for his adultery with Bathseba and murder of her husband with "You are the man..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingdom of Ansteorra Forums Forum Index -> IC Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: